Trinity Church was founded and built in 1774 by the Rev. Nathaniel Blount of Chocowinity. Elected by the Vestry of St. Thomas' Church in Bath to succeed the Rev. Alexander Stewart as Rector, the Vestry of St. Thomas recommended Blount for ordination, and, once approved, they sent him to London to study for ordination. The Bishop of London ordained Blount in St. Paul's Cathedral in September of 1773. Blount returned to Beaufort County as a bonded missionary of the Society for the Propagation of the Gospel, and in one of his first acts, he established a chapel in this community in 1774. Blount was an exceptionally active priest in both the Church of England and the later Episcopal Church. Blount died in 1816 and was buried on the Blount plantation here in Chocowinity. At the time of his death he was reportedly the sole Anglican priest in the state.
Giles Shute and John Herrington (Harrington) are named as the builders of the chapel. Blount build the chapel about one mile west of its present location on land that was later given to the congregation by John and Rhoda O'Hagen. Because of vandalism, the church was moved to its present location in 1939 by Richard Carrow and attached to the parish house.
Trinity Church from the time of its establishment until the 1820's was referred to as Blount's Chapel, Bear Creek. The name Trinity Church presumably comes from the chapel's association with the then Trinity Church, Tarboro. While built in 1774, the church was consecrated as an Episcopal House of Worship by the Right Rev. John Stark Ravenscroft, the Bishop of North Carolina. The congregation founded Trinity School which remained in operation until the early 20th century. The school was both a boarding and day school open to both boys and girls. The school is credited with sending many young men into the priesthood.